July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth!



Life has been busy the last few days, as we've been entertaining Tech Guy. We dropped him off at the airport this morning, and he should be somewhere over Ohio as I type. While waiting in the terminal, he took a picture of the plane with his phone camera and sent it to me. The folks at Jet Blue name all of their planes, and he's traveling on "Me and You and a Plane named Blue." Kinda makes me think of my dolls. Maybe it's good to name things. Life has a way of getting much too technical and much less personal.

The treasure hunt was a success. He got a big kick out of it, and said it more than made up for the Easter hunt when his sister and her boyfriend got most of the eggs. I hid clothespins outside around the condo. There were 15 in all, and each had a letter written on it. I gave him a paper bag to collect them in along the way, but he preferred just clipping them to his shirt. Here he is discovering one hidden on a cactus.


After he had collected all of the clothespins, he had to arrange the letters so they would spell out the clue to where I'd hidden the loot. He solved the puzzle in no time (he's a college grad you know!) and was on his way to "Look in Big Basket," the exact place where I stashed the treasure for the little kids. He ended up with a couple of Snickers bars, a word puzzle book and a package of Asian noodles, and I got a nice hug.

Yesterday we made a stop at the botanical gardens where we saw lots of veggies growing, hundreds of varieties of trees, and some ducks and herons in the pond. Tech Guy had fun in the miniature children's garden. Here he is trying to get into the little cottage......maybe hoping that Goldilocks might be home.


I'm afraid there hasn't been much crafting going on of late. The sock still sits, although I pick it up now and then with good intentions. I may have mentioned my plan to make a pilgrim pair of dolls when I get back to my sewing machine at the end of the month. I've been mentally trying to work out a pattern for the lady's hat.....one of those Puritan bonnets. I think I've got it now. In my usual way, I was making it too complicated. A simple rectangle with one long edge turned back for a cuff and the other long edge tightly gathered should work just fine.....I think....

So I'm already getting excited about next weekend. On Saturday hubby and I are meeting some friends in Laguna Beach for lunch and a visit to the Sawdust Festival. This is one of the premier arts and crafts shows on the west coast, and I intend to get a complete "artisan" fix.....

No comments: