July 29, 2006

Something to take the edge off



It's pretty hot here in our neighborhood, so hubby and I took a little drive this afternoon to find something to ease the pain. There's nothing like a piece of pie to make things all better. The American Pie Company is about a 30-minute drive from our house, and they make the best lemon meringue pie around.


Hubby had the peach-raspberry pie and said it wasn't too shabby either. We both felt remarkably cooler and carefree afterwards. On the way home, I suggested we make the trek to the pie store once every season. That way we could indulge ourselves four times a year, and enjoy the changing scenery. We like to drive along the backroads, which I think are the most beautiful parts of Connecticut. In summer, everything is lush and green and flower gardens are in full bloom. During fall, the colors are spectacular. In January, right after a fresh snowfall, it's a winter wonderland. And spring means tulips and daffodils and the scent of newly-mown grass. Fall is my personal favorite; nothing compares.

So I've decided I don't like Mr. Pilgrim's boots. They're too big and bulky. I'm going to switch them to some smaller boots I use on my Uncle Sam doll...and sometimes on Mr. Snowman. They will be a little more subdued, and more appropriate for his size. I will make them out of brown fabric, so no painting will be required. I did ask him about it and he said he doesn't really care what his boots look like, but insists that I make sure they have a buckle. Well, of course! What's a pilgrim without a buckle or two?

So now, as if the mid-afternoon dessert pie wasn't enough, I'm off to make a chicken pot pie for dinner. But that's gonna be way later.......

1 comment:

kathy b said...

PIE! You've planted an idea that I don't need! Mmmmmm, and chicken pot pie is such a favorite of mine. DO you have a great recipe for it?