July 27, 2006

The Batslayer strikes again!


Mr. Gadget and I had another bat encounter in the wee hours of this morning. At about 4 a.m. he woke me up and announced, "I think we have another bat." We immediately took our bat combat positions. He assumed his upright battle-ready stance with mighty bath towel weapon in hand, and I hid safely under the covers. In no time, the bat had been slayed and tossed out into the woods.

We thought we were done with this issue, until we remembered a conversation we had (since our first bat encounter....which was strikingly similar to this one) with some friends. They had also had a bat visit, but were told that just because there is no contact (that you know of) it doesn't necessarily mean there's no need to worry. A bat could swoop down low and scratch you while you're sleeping. These friends, at the urging of their doctor, went ahead and got the Rabies shots just to be on the safe side.

So this morning we gathered up the bat (this was of course a job for bat slayer), double-bagged it, and took it down to our local health department from where it will be expeditiously transported to the great testing station in Hartford. On Monday they will give us the test results.

Meanwhile, I called the doctor for his opinion. He says if it were him, he wouldn't give it another thought. The chances of this bat being a problem bat, and there having been any contact with it, are slim to none. "But if you're paranoid about it, you can go to the ER," he said. Neither hubby nor I are the paranoid types. We will have a relaxing, bat-worry free weekend, and await the bat report card on Monday.

And while I wait, I will work on the pilgrims. I don't find it nearly as fun to work on something with a deadline. I like being able to make what I want when I want. On the other hand, it's nice when people like my work enough to special order it. I do appreciate the compliments. So I'd better get back to work on my creative artsy-craftsy assembly line here in the treehouse. I'll do my best not to go batty....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No bats around here that I know of, however, we are trying to trap a rat that was scurrying from the kitchen to the living room very early last Wednesday morning. No luck yet. Is there an innoculation against bubonic plague? I wish...looking for ratslayer.

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»