July 09, 2006

Fabric fix

Not only is hubby a blog supporter, he also supports my fabric addiction. Today he was feeling especially generous and offered to take me to one of my favorite fabric stores, M & L Discount Fabrics in Anaheim. This is a huge place (it might have been a super market in a former life) and it can be overwhelming if you're not prepared for it. It always helps to have some projects in mind before you get there. In addition to aisles of upright bolts, there are aisles of flat folds. You might want to do a little strength training before you venture into this area.

My good friend Barbara and I had established quite an M & L shopping tradition in the years before she left her nice California cottage with the ocean view to move to the Arizona desert for a man. She would search out quilt fabric while I looked for something to dress my dolls in. Once we both browsed through the flannel section--at least 2 or 3 aisles' worth--for nice pajama bottom prints. I bought some bright blue flannel with big yellow ducks for Big City Girl, and Barbara got enough to make a pair for each of her family members--mom, dad, sisters, nieces, nephews and cousins. Then, when we were finished with our shopping, we would go across the street to a little fast-food Mexican place and have lunch. The food was pretty good and it gave us a chance to talk about what we were going to make with our stash.

So now she's gone.....off with that man, and living an almost fabric-less life. But at least she has flea markets, or so I hear, where she just snagged four wooden chairs and a neat wrought iron gate. Barbara is the queen of flea markets.

So Barbara, I hope you're having fun. I know you are, and I'm really happy for you. And in case you're interested......here's my "catch of the day."


My plans for these are, left to right: backing for my food quilt, witch, chef doll, witch, I don't know but something for Halloween or fall, red hat lady, and a santa. I did pretty well for myself, don't you think? Not only that, I had chauffeur service and I didn't have to pay for lunch.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested