July 19, 2006

...and don't forget the Apple Pie!



And just in case I'm in the mood to make an apple pie, here is a wonderful little tablecloth that came in the mail today from my good friend to whom I gave the knitted dishcloths. You may remember I didn't let on that it was my birthday the day we met for coffee, since she had gifted me a box of chocolates on a previous meeting just a couple of weeks before. But she was not to be deterred. This is some of her handiwork--a little homespun cloth with a machine-appliqued pie in each of the four corners. When I called to thank her, she even gave me washing instructions....but I assured her I didn't intend to get it dirty.

This reminded me of a chef doll I made a while back. I dressed her in an apple pie print outfit, and she holds a rolling pin with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on it. There's a little cinnamon on her hat and her shoes too, because she's a lot like me.....not a very tidy baker.

So hubby and I stopped by one of the local dollar stores yesterday. He's usually not one to go into those places, but we discovered this one has lots of Asian cookware. He was interested in getting some chopsticks, and maybe some sushi dishware. We don't prepare (I almost said cook) this stuff at home, mind you. But I suppose if we find some sushi at Costco or a nice Asian take-out restaurant, he figures we'll be ready with the proper gadgets.

And while I was browsing in the dollar store, I found these cute little clothespins....posed alongside some regular-sized ones, and my latest knitted dishcloth project.


I'm not sure what I'll use them for, but they were just too fun to pass up. I remember seeing one of Greta Chirco's dolls in Mulberry Cottage....that favorite local shop of mine....posed doing her laundry in a little metal wash tub. Her hair was made of cotton clothesline cord and decorated with mini-clothespins. I will keep my mini's in a safe place while I await some creative inspiration.

And while I wait, I might just retrieve that jeans jacket I have hanging in the guest room closet--at a safe distance from the Goodwill box. I've been thinking of doing some embroidery on it when I have some spare time. But I imagine most of us crafty folks agree that when the spirit moves us, we must dive right in and put the laundry and the vacuuming on hold. Check out Kristin's blog and you, too, might be inspired to go get yourself a little thread stash....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a pretty large thread stash but I'm all thumbs these days. Bon appetit!

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»