July 15, 2006

Meet the parents...



I come from good stock, don't you think? What? You don't see the resemblance? Well, you have to agree that whoever these folks are, they're pretty crafty!

Back in the early 60's, when I was still in high school, my family had a membership in the Badminton Club. I know it sounds kind of highbrow, but it really wasn't all that much. There were several badminton courts and a nice swimming pool where lots of the kids hung out during the summer. For the adults, it was mostly a social club. Each year the social committee would plan several big holiday parties, and one of the favorites was for Halloween.

My internet friend, with whom I recently shared some high-calorie cheesecake, and who is now a member of this very same Badminton Club, mentioned that some folks were collecting old photos for a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the club. The mouse pair came to mind, so I started digging through the albums and boxes of pictures here in the condo. I remember my dad working on these mice in the garage late into the nights. He formed them over a world globe using paper mache. He built up the noses and shaped the ears out of styrofoam. He gave Minnie some pipe cleaner lashes and some earrings. He built up their shoes with excelsior and more paper mache. My mom did the costume assembling and they each wore black tights--his under short red pants and hers under a short skirt. I always admired them for daring to do something so silly!

So last night Mr. Gadget (aka hubby) and I went out for our early-bird sushi. We got our usual table. Then we walked by the yarn shop, but found it closed. I guess we weren't early enough birds for everything. We should have just gone on down to the beach, but Mr. G. said it wouldn't really be an official birthday without some ice cream, so we strolled over to Baskin Robbins for a single scoop of chocolate-peanut butter (mine) and a double cherries jubilee (his). I was sure the day's festivities were over at the point.......until I got home and looked out on the front porch. There was a big beautiful bouquet of flowers from Big City Girl.

Life is good when you've got gadgets and flowers and ice cream......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcia,
What a talented individual you are and so modern. Wish I had more time this minute to read all but will have to return later. Claudia is correct. What a pleasure to read. I will miss you in CA but hope as you that we may all get together soon. Love from your rain soaked antique friend Lucy.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»