July 25, 2006

Finished Objects (aka FO's)



Today the ceiling fan and I are enjoying some quiet time in the craft room. Even though I have a very nice radio/CD player---compliments of Mr. Gadget, I'm a bigger fan of quiet.

Here is a baby blanket I finished a few months ago to keep on hand awaiting a recipient. I actually have a pink one finished too, so I was well prepared--something indeed unusual for me. And while I was away, don't you know a new baby boy arrived on our block. I was thinking about looking for some wrapping paper (I'm not all that well prepared) when I happened to notice, from my treehouse-like vantage point, mother and babe taking a stroll up the street. So the blanket was soon delivered, and mom was happy enough not to notice the lack of wrapping.

If you look closely, you might notice this blanket is the very same pattern as the blue dishcloth--the one with character. This pattern is very versatile. It's knitted on the diagonal, starting with just 4 stitches. At the beginning of each row, you increase a stitch, and a yarn-over gives the open-work effect. When you get half-way into the work, you start to decrease one stitch each row. And when you're back to 4 stitches again, you bind off. It's much quicker to knit a dishcloth than a baby blanket....duh! But both make nice gifts, and if you have friends like mine, they'll be happy to receive anything handmade.


Here is the last of my pillows. I loved the primitive verse and tried to stitch it in keeping with that theme. "What a wonderful bird the frog are. When he stand he sit almost. When he hop, he fly almost. He ain't got no sense hardly. He ain't got no tail hardly either. When he sit, he sit on what he ain't got almost." I have no idea who the author is.

So I'm elbow-deep in my sewing projects here in the treehouse. The pilgrims have been cut out and the basic parts have been stitched together. I quickly sketched up a shoe pattern for each; no high-style required here. Loretta the ladybug has returned to the assembly line, I mean my creative work area. I've decided to move forward with the original wing idea, but I'm adding some embroidery embellishment. I would like to get her up for auction before I lose my eBay skills. After that, I should have my brain ready for Big City Girl to teach me about the L train and the A train, and the uptown and downtown NYC subways.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»