June 30, 2006

Bits of Tid



I really don't have a picture suitable for today's blog title, so here's one more Maui picture. One of the touristy excursions we did do this time was the Atlantis submarine. This is where 40 people pay big bucks to go under the sea to look at fish. If I ever do a "100 things about me" list, this will probably be one of the things. We actually got down to 130 feet.....where.....would you believe, they played the theme from "Titanic." A little nautical humor I guess.

So hubby and I are awaiting the arrival tomorrow of Tech Guy. He has made the first leg of his journey, which involved taking the train to NYC to spend the night with his sister. That way he won't have to get up so early in the morning to head for the airport all the way from Connecticut. I'm assuming, of course, that there will be some sleep time that might interrupt the partying that sometimes goes on among the young and clueless.

There has been a little change in the treasure hunt plans. Instead of rocks, I'll be using clothespins. Rocks aren't that plentiful around here. Well, there are hundreds of them in the neighbor's garden (no mowing or watering required) but I didn't want to sneak over there after dark to gather some, and I certainly didn't want to ask her for them and be stuck telling her what they were for. Stay tuned to find out more. Isn't this exciting?

I finished my latest read, Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith, and I was a little disappointed. This new series doesn't quite have the same charm as the Ladies' Detective Agency series. There were no new trees mentioned. There were several big words with definitions unknown to me, and I did take the time to look them up. "Amanuensis" is one who is employed to take dictation or copy manuscripts. "Insalubrious" means not promoting health. "Xenophobe" is someone who is fearful of strangers or foreign people. I will not be using them in a sentence.

So I did get up to the nursing home for a short visit with my dad today. I usually try to go during the lunch hour so I can help him eat. Dessert was chocolate cake and he ate his whole piece. But the aftermath of serving chocolate cake to nursing home residents looks similar to serving chocolate cupcakes to a kindergarten class. Lots of clean-up involved. Maybe even a hose-down. I pushed him back to his room, where the nurse caught up with me to let me know he was refusing to take his medicine (could this be one of those insalubrious events?) I told her not to worry about it. I told her to just do the best she could and that I appreciated everything everyone was doing for him. Probably cake and ice cream are all the medicine he needs right now......but I didn't tell her that. Somethings are just better left unsaid.....

No comments: