June 14, 2006

Sock and stuff


I realize for a while now there has been precious little crafty content in this blog, so this should remedy the situation. I'm making progress on the striped sock, and have finally turned the heel. See how it's now headed east? I know, I said something once about socks heading into the sunset which would, of course, be west. Where's Carol, the GPS lady, when you need her?

This is my first sock-knitting experience using size 1 needles. I'm using the pattern from the Yarn Harlot's latest book, Knitting Rules. So far, I'm happy with how they're coming out. The sock seems a little more dense than the ones I've done on size 2's, and I know it will be nice and warm for winters in Connecticut, or when it gets really chilly here in Cali.....like down to the 50's.

One of the best things about spring here in SoCal is the sight of a jacaranda tree in full bloom. I found this one nearby that still has most of its blossoms; many of the trees have shed their blooms and have littered the ground beneath. During my previous stay in California, I was reading Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, in which he mentions thorn trees........which I had just seen for the first time at the local botanical garden. And now I've just finished reading another of his books, Tears of the Giraffe....in which he makes mention of jacaranda trees. Yesterday I borrowed Friends, Lovers, Chocolate from the local library. I'm wondering what I'll find growing in there? Stay tuned.

So hubby and I watched an interesting show last night on the science channel......well, maybe he was snoozing......called "Most of our Universe is Missing." It seems that the cosmology folks noticed a while back that about 96% of our universe was nowhere to be found. Now, after lots of studies, conferences, experiments and expensive laboratory constructing, they've come to the conclusion that this "stuff" is a combination of dark matter and dark energy, and it doesn't follow the same rules set forth by Newton and Einstein. It may actually be able to travel right through regular old matter made up of atoms. I can just imagine that this is going to prompt some interesting discussions with wine on the patio.

Hubby, as I've mentioned before, is a reader of Scientific American. He subscribes to the theory that if you can't see it, or if you can't duplicate it, it ain't there. I, on the other hand, am a reader of things astrological and paranormal. I've always argued that just because you can't see it or duplicate it doesn't necessarily mean it's not there. It may just mean that a measuring device for detecting it hasn't been invented yet. This all just tends to make him snooze some more.

So I'm wondering if there are ghosts that reside in the dark matter, or departed loved ones, or Sparkle the cat. Could it be where my memory goes when it escapes me? This may also be the answer to the mystery of those socks that lose their mates in the dryer and are never seen or heard from again. Just wondering is all.......

No comments: