June 06, 2006

Playing with food

In my last post, I mentioned having purchased a daikon radish with plans to marinate it in hopes of duplicating the wonderful side dish my sister-in-law made to go along with her great Korean BBQ. This baby is about 8 or 9 inches long. When I decided to photograph it for the blog my sense of whimsy kicked in. "Do you have a vegetable setting on that new camera?" asked hubby. As I sized up Mr. Daikon Head, I figured the portrait setting would work just fine. Notice those chin hairs? They all came off nicely with the potato peeler.


Unlike my sister-in-law who sliced her daikon, I shredded mine to make it more like a cole slaw. I added some grated carrots and chopped red onion, then made a dressing of oil, rice vinegar, a little sugar, and toasted sesame seeds. And in the words of Emeril, it's sitting in the ice box....that would be the refrigerator....getting happy.

So last week, before the big adventure on Interstate 5, I had the good fortune to meet up with Claudia, one of my best friends from junior high and high school. She lives in Tennessee now, but was back in town for a little vacation and we managed to meet for lunch with husbands in tow.

What fun we had harking back to our youth! She asked me if I remembered our 6th grade teacher, Mr. Rossi, and the day he and one of the other students got into a fist fight in the classroom. I couldn't remember, but I did remember coming back to the classroom after gym class all teary-eyed because I didn't get picked for the volleyball team.

I asked Claudia if she remembered getting together at her house with plans to sunbathe on her patio. We ended up baking muffins and eating them all, after which the idea of putting on bathing suits didn't seem so appealing. I'm sure we could have gone on and on with more great stories and memories of our youth, but the hubbies were starting to look a little bored.

Maybe we'll just have to organize a big slumber party. No......I'm thinking maybe a slumber cruise......



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcia,
You and Claudia look so "soigne"--my kind of French spelling meaning sophisticated if you pronounce it correctly--there at the MB pier.