June 01, 2006

The big switch

So now I'm on the west coast, after a long day of travel yesterday. The best part of the trip is watching the little map on the back of the seat in front of me. I'm always happy to see the nose of the virtual airplane cross into California. More friendly technology. Most of the time it's the best of the 39 channels. I can get as excited watching this as some do watching American Idol.

I'm a frequent flyer on Jet Blue. It's my airline-of-choice when traveling. I've made this trip over a dozen times when coming out to visit, and to arrange care for, my dad. Usually it's just a totally boring trip, but now I have my new camera. I had it handy in my purse, along with my new cell phone, and my new crafty wallet. And speaking of the wallet, it's so nice to have little slots for my credit cards, library cards (I have one for the west coast and one for the east.....I love the library!), and various other things that need slots. I used to just have them all in a bunch and this often required that I fan them all out in the middle of a store.


Not only were there interesting things to watch inside the plane, but the view outside was pretty nice too. Here is a picture of the Grand Canyon from my vantage point in seat 17A. I never get tired of this view.....which only happens when the weather is good, the pilot is on the right course, and I have a window seat. On one trip several years ago, the pilot announced that there was some bad news to report--air traffic was stacking up over Los Angeles and we would be forced to circle for a while. The good news was that he would be making a few 360's over the Grand Canyon.

So this morning I'm all rested up and feeling much better than I was at 7 p.m. last night when I just had to go to bed. The time change, the jet lag, and the early departure all ganged up on me. Today I will pay a visit to my dad, and deliver Fred the cat to Olga. He seems to have made the trip just fine in hubby's suitcase. No angry meows or cat calls were noticed.

Tomorrow, after rush hour (which is pretty much non-existant in SoCal), hubby and I will be getting in the car and heading up to northern California for a niece and nephew graduation and gathering of relatives. The drive takes about six hours--the same as yesterday's flight. It's equally as boring, and there'll be no little TV screen to show our progress. I'll have my trusty camera though, and some sock knitting. Maybe I can get a heel turned while snapping a few pictures of tomato trucks......

No comments: