June 15, 2006

Pleasant company


Today I made the acquaintance of this cute little gnome, and he was friendly enough to agree to visit the blog. He watches over the newly-planted patio garden at my father's nursing home.

The patio is a beautiful spot, but rarely can I convince my dad to go out there because he's always cold. We used to laugh at hubby's aunt because she'd wear 3 sweaters and an afghan in the middle of a hot, humid New York summer day. I've since come to understand and accept that elderly folks are often cold. In fact, by the time I get to the elderly stage of my life, I'm hoping to have lots of handknit socks and sweaters handy. And they'll all be made to the correct gauge, in bright colors, in real wool--none of that acrylic stuff......

So I was at the nursing home with plans to meet the geriatric psychiatrist who had been summoned to discuss what he might be able to do to help my dad with his intense dislike for the place and the direction his life has taken, and his nasty behavior toward his very caring caregivers. While I waited, I sat on the patio and visited with the gnome....and told him I thought he looked a little like Santa Claus. I also started my new library book Friends, Lovers, Chocolate, paying close attention so as not to miss any mention of new varieties of trees. So far, no trees, but I have come across several unfamiliar vocabulary words. I'm making a list of them all and will look them up in the dictionary--something I've always meant to do with each new book but never actually did.

The doc never showed up. He apologized and promised to make us his first appointment in the morning. So I stayed for a while and helped my dad with his dinner. He said he wasn't very hungry. He left the chicken and mashed potatoes and the soup and the cranberry sauce untouched on his tray. He refused to take his pills. He ate every last bite of his ice cream. You just gotta love a guy who has his priorities straight.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eat dessrt first, last and always. You do haveta love a guy like your Dad. He is a special, bright and enthusiastic man. It's not the same on the inside and outside anymore, he's yelling.
Here's to better days with your Dad. Love, Molly