June 05, 2006

Sorry, no tomatoes



I mentioned in my last post that hubby and I would be traveling from Los Angeles to the San Francisco bay area along one of the most boring roads in California--Interstate 5. I had planned to add some interest to the trip by turning the heel on my sock-in-progress, and maybe getting a photo of a big tomato truck. As you can see, the sock is no where near the heel yet, and not one tomato was sighted. But I did manage to position the sock next to Carol, our GPS system. In fact, Carol has such a nice, pleasant voice I'm thinking of making her a pair of socks in thanks for doing such a good job of navigating for us on the trip. She never lost her patience with us, even when we yelled at her for directing us to do 3 right turns instead of one big "u-ey." Carol must have known that some of those are illegal and she wasn't about to be blamed for us ending up on the wrong side of the law.

One of the highlights of a trip up north is that my Korean sister-in-law always cooks us a big Korean BBQ. She makes several different dishes, all with high concentrations of sesame seeds and garlic. This time there was something that looked like round, thin slices of mozzerella cheese. Turns out it was slices of radish (I believe it's called "daikon") that had been marinated in rice vinegar and a little sugar. It was so delicious that today I bought some at the local produce market and will try to make some myself. I'm sure it must have fewer WW points than that See's candy and graduation cake I was nibbling on over the weekend in my mistaken belief that calories count less the further north you go....


So I delivered Olga's cat last Thursday, and she was delighted. Fred is now Max. She carries him on her lap while she rides around in her wheelchair. He seems OK with that. She, of course, wanted to pay me, but I insisted that it was my pleasure to give it to her as a gift and I wanted no money. Today when I went back to the nursing home to visit my dad, she asked me to wait while she wheeled into her room to get something, and she came back with a beautiful picture she had painted in art class. She wanted me to have it in exchange for Max.

When I was finished visiting with my dad, I stopped to visit some more with Olga. She told me stories about her crazy relatives, and we agreed that we all have some. And she told me again about the wonderful Greek cookies she used to make. It would be fun to find a recipe and make some to share with Olga and the residents. Maybe they'd even like to try a little side order of marinated radish salad.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lucky can you get? A Korean sister-in-law! My mouth is watering. Who cares about tomatoes?