June 29, 2006

Summer vacation



Now that I have the new digital camera I've become fond of recording views from airplane windows. Here we are landing in Maui. And since the airplane saw its shadow, we were pretty sure we'd have some sunny days.....unlike the last trip when we had one solid week of rain. I mean, how many times can you visit the aquarium?

After gathering our bags and picking up our rented convertible (the upgrade fairy blessed us), we headed out to Kapalua and my brother-in-law's lavish spread, I mean his large house, where we unpacked our suitcases and settled in for one week of lazy days.


Since we've been to Maui before and had done most of the touristy things, we decided one day to take a drive to a couple of small towns that were recommended as being quaint little artisan centers. Of course my ears perked up at the mention of "artisan," and off we went to visit the towns of Paia and Makawao. For anyone who's been to Maui and taken the "Road to Hana," Paia is at the beginning of the road, and is mentioned in tour books as the best place to pick up a picnic lunch for the journey. What they don't tell you is that hardly anyone wants to eat on that trip, since it's a long way and the road is mostly hairpins. But there were many fun shops in Paia, as well as this scenic spot. I guess one could call it "junk." I'd call it "art materials."


So I've recovered from "The Kahului Airport Blues" and am now getting ready for a visit from Tech Guy on Saturday. You may remember that I promised him a treasure hunt. And you may think this will be a lot of work to do for a 24-year-old. But the truth is, I love doing it. While sitting at the airport the other night for 5 hours with nothing to do but eat ice cream, I planned it all out. The first thing I need to do is find 15 rocks. I wonder if the curmudgeons will think I'm taking valuable relics? If I'm found out, I'm sure there will be a new sign posted soon.....

No comments: