June 18, 2006

Happy fathers



Hubby had a happy Father's Day, or so he says. Here he is sitting on the back patio in his red M&E Railroad hat. It was a gift from the owner of the M&E--which boasts 23 miles of track. That's it. It's just a small freight line, also known as the Morristown & Erie, with which hubby had some dealings at one time.

I gave him a couple of small gifts in honor of the day, but better than the gifts was the card. It said, "First came love, then came marriage......then all hell broke loose!" Good thing we dated for a long time, because the kids came along pretty quickly and things have been lively, you might say, ever since.

Tech Guy called early to wish his dad a happy day, and Big City Girl called later....just as she was getting off of the train and walking to the subway....having returned to the city from a friend's birthday party in Connecticut. We have learned to appreciate her breathless greetings, because she often calls while walking to and fro in the great metropolis.

I made a Father's Day trek up to the nursing home with a single scoop of Baskin Robbins strawberry cheesecake ice cream for my dad. I figured he'd enjoy it for dessert following lunch. But he wasn't feeling his best today, and wasn't hungry, so I asked the staff to put it in the fridge til dinner. He ate a little soup and some fresh fruit, and then I asked him if some ice cream sounded good. He said it did. So off I went to fetch it and we each had half. I'm reminded of the story about the old woman who was asked if she had any regrets about her life, and she said she wished she'd eaten more ice cream.

So I've had second thoughts about the tropical sock knitting project. I've decided to use the size 1 needles after all. I'll make the sock a little shorter and with a more rounded toe. I'll probably do a little knitting on the plane tomorrow on the way to Maui. It will be best if I'm busy and not constantly badgering hubby with, "Are we there yet?"

There may be a blog post during the next week, but I'm not promising. Those tropical breezes, not to mention the mai tais, can do strange things to a person who is ordinarily very blog-committed. So, til next time, "Aloha!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha

When in Hawaii, get some grog and forget the blog and be a little careful of the fog. I'll think I'll make that my motto, if I ever get a chance to visit the Islands again, Ha Ha Ho Ho Ho

An attempt at rimeing and timeing and even spelling.

Cute red hat on that father!

Aloha