April 04, 2006

Twenty-Five!


Note: I thought Blogger had eaten this post sometime yesterday after I wrote it. But it seems like they were playing hide-and-seek instead.

Hubby and I have been married twenty-five years today! We're just having an ordinary sort of day though because a couple of weekends ago we celebrated at this wonderful place on Martha's Vineyard. I guess if we were truly romantics, we would be there now. But the prices on MV, always a bit pricey, double after April 1. We're practical folk.

When people ask how we met, I'm a little reluctant to tell them that we met in a bar. It's not the sort of place where one should go (or so the relationship experts say) to find a lasting partnership. As it happened, I almost didn't go that evening. But I had made plans to meet friends there, and about the time I was thinking of changing my mind, I knew they had already left home. And there were no cell phones way back then......how did we ever manage? Lucky for me though. One phone call and I would have ended up taking the other fork in the road......

We hadn't been in the place very long before I noticed this tall, dark and handsome guy standing at the bar, and I told my friends I was going to go ask him to dance. Well, as they say, the rest is history.

I often think it would be fun to write a book about how couples met. I think of my friend in Arizona who fell in love with the guy she bought her house from. Or my parents who met on a blind date back in the early 40's. I'm sure there are all kinds of wonderful, quirky stories. And it might be good reading for young women who are in a hurry to meet Mr. Right and get married. Maybe it would help encourage them to get out there in the world and do something wonderful with their lives, and just leave this whole business to serendipity.

I remember a couple of times when Big City Girl called from college to tell me that some boy had done her wrong. What I really wanted to do was find him and give him a good whack upside the head. But I thought better of it, and just gave her some good, sound mom advice. "Men are like busses," I told her. "There'll be another along in a few minutes."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Silver Anniversary from us!

Conni said...

Belated congratulations on your anniversary!

Bernadette said...

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary! My hubby and I got officially engaged there (i.e., hubby down on one knee, ring in hand - the works!. It's such a beautiful place - and yes, quite expensive!

By the way, one of my sisters also met her hubby in a bar/club. He's one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and after 14 years they are still crazy about each other.

I like your advice to BSG about men... gotta pass that one along to my other (and significantly) younger sister, who believes love & marriage have already passed her by (she's still in her early 30's!)