April 27, 2006

For the Birds


Our backyard birdhouse has been vacant all winter, but it's about to get new occupants. That's because the wrens are back. Since moving to the east coast, I've really learned to appreciate just how smart birds are. The robins seem to appear on our lawn on the first day of Spring, and the wrens arrive right around the first of May. I mentioned to hubby not long ago that the wrens always let me know when they arrive by perching on the deck rail just outside the kitchen window. I could see his eyes glaze over. So yesterday we were having breakfast, and don't you know a little wren--the first of the season--appeared on the rail. Just checking in I guess.

And speaking of creatures with homing devices, Big City Girl will be arriving today for a short visit. I'll have to show her my progress on the dust mop sweater, but of course I would never call it that in her presence. I'm happy to say that "the other Marcia" was very helpful in getting me on track with the pattern. It struck me that the color of this yarn is similar to that of the first sweater I knit when I was in 8th grade. I wore that sweater so proudly, mistakes and all. Fortunately, I've since learned about the frog pond.

My little adventure with the endodonist went fine yesterday. No pain is a good thing. But what is it about dental folks? All the while they had their hands in my mouth, the endo and his assistant were discussing the recent episode of American Idol. The last time I saw my regular dentist for a filling (a couple of months ago), he and his assistant were discussing the same show. I don't watch it. Maybe I should. Maybe my gastro doc was discussing the same thing last week during my hospital visit? I can only wonder. Perhaps it's just a dental thing.

So this morning while I was checking out at the grocery store, I got to thinking about people and how sometimes just a little thing can tell you a whole lot about someone's character. How about those folks ahead of you who finish putting their groceries on the belt and then they put that plastic divider thingie up there for you. I bet they call their moms on Sunday and treat their cats nice too! I wonder if they watch American Idol.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia,
Watch American Idol at least once. Sometimes I remember to put down the thingy at the grocery store and sometimes I don't but I call my mother everyday. Hope BCG and you have a wonderful visit! Hope your wrens enjoy their house. Guess blogging is "in" and email is "out"?
Kathy W.

kathy b said...

Marcia

My grandmother used to recite a little poem, that started

A WREN
A WREN

. That's all we remember! So whenever we see one, we have to say A WREN A WREN. I put up some new houses hoping they'll pick them this year. I had some prospects one year, but they decided on a different house in the end.