April 10, 2006

Grandma's crochet

I had a request from Kathy for more crochet pictures, so here are a couple that show my grandma's bedspread, along with a couple of Easter goodies I made a year or two ago. And you really should go over to Kathy's blog to see her embroidered lab coat. She paid me the finest compliment ever--she said I inspired her to do a little fancy stitching of her own! I think she did a great job. I told her she might want to consider her coat a work-in-progress, and that she could continue to add to her garden. But then I suppose the time would come when it might become inappropriate office attire rather than just an interesting uniform treatment....

I made the bunny out of white flannel and stuffed him. His arms are long enough so that one could be wrapped around the basket handle and glued. The two little chicks are made from yellow fabric and lightly stuffed. Their beaks are painted toothpicks, and I put little yellow
feathers on their heads. Last fall, I got some tiny baskets and put one chick in each and sold them as Christmas tree ornaments.
For anyone thinking of doing a craft fair, Christmas ornaments are usually good sellers. With so many things being mass-produced now, lots of people are happy to find something handmade for their trees. One year, while on vacation in northern California, I collected small pieces of driftwood along the ocean. I really wasn't sure what I would use them for, but I put them away in a bottom drawer. A few years later I noticed someone selling Santas that had been painted on oyster shells. Bingo! I dug out the driftwood and got busy. They were good sellers, and the ones that didn't sell became decorations for our family tree.


So Beatrice and Dottie are just about done, and should be ready for a photo op tomorrow. They seem to be getting along fine together on my craft table, so maybe they'll be happy to sit for a pose.






No comments: