April 15, 2006

Food of Love



.....to borrow a phrase from Emeril. This is what I'm serving for Easter dessert, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. It's easy and everyone loves it. Works for me. I got the recipe a while back from someone's blog. I wish I remembered who so I could give them credit. You bake up a box of brownies, and as soon as they come out of the oven, you sprinkle them with chocolate chips (I used the chocolate/vanilla swirl this time), and crushed up Snickers bars. The great thing is that there are just enough to serve 5 or 6 people, and anything left is easily wrapped and sent home with guests. These must have a gazillion WW points, and I don't need them calling to me from the fridge, which they most certainly would do.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the placemat with the heart on it.......I made it. Well, actually I did the applique. Years ago, after I got my new sewing machine, I was putting machine appliques on everything that wasn't nailed down. It was fun for a while, but I eventually got bored with it. I did several banners, including one for my daughter's Daisy troop--which they carried in our hometown Memorial Day parade. The thing about doing big applique projects like that is I was always going to the store for more thread. I had no idea.

My friend Marcia has invited me to join her next Saturday for a trip up to knitters' heaven (aka WEBS) in Northampton, Mass. It seems that the Yarn Harlot (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee) is going to be making an appearance there to speak and sign books. We'll also do some serious yarn shopping. After all, it is a two hour drive. We have to come home with something truly worthwhile to show for it. I have in mind knitting a sweater for Big City Girl. It's the Mandarin Collar Jacket pictured in the recent issue of Knit It magazine, and she admired it when she was home last. But I will be looking for a substitute yarn for the $10 a skein llama/wool blend the pattern calls for. For years, BCG has considered the floor as her closet, and I'm not feeling generous enough to knit her an expensive dust mop.

So once the trip plans were made, we got to the really serious business of where to go for lunch. I do remember that WEBS has a rather large parking lot, and I think a big yarn event such as this might just call for a tailgate party.....

No comments: