April 12, 2006

Dud Spuds



Sometime back in January, I posted a picture of some fabric veggies I made, some of which were potatoes. It took me a few tries to get a decent one, so some of them were destined for the compost pile. But luckily they didn't make it that far because they ended up making great pieces for practicing needle-sculpted faces.

Before I took this picture, I got my wool scraps out and my colored pencils to see just how life-like I could make them. And once they took on a little bit of personality, I had to name them--of course! Left to right, there's "Ray with the bad toupee," "Marian the librarian," and "Lou who sells shoes." I definitely need more practice, but it's fun. I wish I had lots more spud duds.

I just put Beatrice up on eBay ("Primitive Folk-Art Butterfly Doll"). I sat down last night and decided I had to figure out the wing-attachment issue. It turned out not to be as challenging as I feared. A long doll needle and some thread worked fine.

I'm not sure what my next project will be. Maybe I'll try to work on the sneaker-wearing graduate. She's sitting here on the shelf with one shoe on and a bald head. The mortar board hat is going to be the challenge. I used to glue them onto the head, but as I mentioned in yesterday's post, I prefer to sew everything on because then I don't have to worry about the dolls coming undone. Beatrice has me thinking Spring, though, so I might just have to do a garden angel with some embroidery on her wings. And then there's the ladybug doll idea. Maybe I'll have to visit a few fabric stores tomorrow looking for just the right polka dot print. Darn. I was really looking forward to mopping the floors .......

No comments: