May 05, 2006

Ms. Red Shoes



She's done. She finally relented and let me install her hat. So now she's up on eBay, and we'll just see how that goes. She told me she hopes to be adopted by someone who will take her along to a graduation party where there'll be lots of cake.

The other day I got to thinking about one of my favorite stories when I was a kid. It was in a Better Homes & Gardens children's book and I still have it somewhere. The story was about a little girl who had lots of dolls and one night they all came to life. I think maybe I'm re-creating parts of my childhood that I would be better off to just let go of.

Today I cut out the pieces for the ladybug doll. The red body pieces are awaiting some black painted dots. I tried my idea of painting them on the fabric, and I think it will work out well. I was pondering what I might use for the clown-like collar, and I think I have some black fabric....almost like tulle....with some sparklies. I think I stashed it with my Halloween stuff. It's in a safe place.....somewhere.....

So yesterday I had a little lull here in the craft room, and I cut out a primitive cat. I wouldn't call it a doll though. I drew an outline of a cat with four legs and a tail, but in a primitive style. With two pieces together, I'll sew around the outline, turn it right side out, and then stuff it. Then the fun part happens. I paint the whole thing black, except for eyes, nose and mouth. This one will have a big smiley mouth. These sorts of things appeal to people who have primitive decor.....or to those who love cats in any form. It can be put in a bookcase leaning against the books, or on a windowsill. I may put a little hook on the back so it can hang. I'll post pictures of everything when I'm done. I hope the cat and the ladybug don't fight for my attention.

So I think I need a break from my craft room, where things seem to be stirring. Tomorrow, Tech Guy will join me for a program at the local college (we're both alums.) Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes and more recently Teacher Man, will be speaking. Maybe I'll see my old Journalism professor. And when he asks me what I've been writing lately, I'll tell him "my memoirs."

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Say Hi to Frank Mc--HA! Ms. Red Shoes will find a new home very quickly, I'm sure! She's so cute.