May 23, 2006

Got Rhodies!



I just love rhododendrons. Every spring they burst forth in bloom without even five minutes of attention from me. Then I can take their picture and make people think I'm a wonderful gardener. But that would be far from the truth. All I've been planting lately is mulch with hopes that it will keep the weeds to a minimum. Since we've become summer travelers, it doesn't make sense to plant flowers that won't get regular watering, and would most likely just end up being deer food anyway. Too bad those deer haven't learned to like weeds. Maybe a little ketchup would help. Remember when your mom used to tell you liver would taste good if you'd put ketchup on it?

So today I took a little trip to the Tarrywile Mansion here in the town where I live. It's owned by the city and has become a popular spot for weddings and other special occasions. There are lots of hiking trails on the grounds, and a wonderful area for picnics. I had arranged to meet my friend Linda there for a brown bag lunch. She is the recreation director for one of the local nursing homes, and the one who started a Red Hat group for the residents. You may remember my plan to write up this story for submission to the Chicken Soup people for a new book on Red Hats. So now I have lots of good story fodder and the fun begins.....honing it all down to something that makes sense in 1000 words or less...

And on my way over to Tarrywile, I observed something that now prompts me to start a new blog category called Strange Sightings. As I drove along a heavily-traveled, two-lane road that is lined with businesses, I noticed a man walking toward me along the side. He was dressed in business casual clothing, and he was playing a bagpipe. I wasn't sure I was seeing correctly, but sure enough, as I passed him I could actually hear the bagpipe. I think this puts a whole 'nother spin on multi-tasking. He was probably just spending his lunch hour getting some exercise and practicing his music. Well, I hope that was it and he wasn't an apparition returning to the cemetery just down the road......

So I've been working on Olga's cat and I may have a photo tomorrow. Unlike Loretta the ladybug, the cat seems pleased with the outfit I picked out, especially the red polka-dot bow tie. I'll let Olga name him, but if she can't come up with anything, I think he'll just be Fred.

No comments: