May 03, 2006

Having a plan


Sometimes I have an idea for a doll when I'm somewhere other than near my sketch pad. In fact, that's mostly the way it happens. And since I'm not one to handle my mail right away, I usually have an envelope nearby. Some of my best ideas have started on envelopes.

Here is my idea for the ladybug doll , along with a graduate standing on her head. I thought it would be cute to put some painted shoes on the ladybug with some bead embellishment. And maybe a ruffled collar of some kind, similar to a clown doll, but in something more frilly. I have an idea for the shape of the wings, but I'm not sure what I'll make them out of. A dive into the fabric stash is in order. I'm sure I have something.

So the graduate in pink sneakers will be going out to California. It's probably no surprise. You know how those Cali folks are......with their reputations for being a little off-the-beam and laid-back and all. Well, I should know, don't you think. I haven't been gone that long. I hope I get some feedback from the buyer about where Miss Pink Shoes will end up. I always enjoy hearing the stories, but of course I won't press.

Now that BCG is about to wear her cap and gown and go through all the pomp, I kinda wish I'd done the same. I dropped out of college in the 60's and didn't return until the 90's. I was considered a "non-trad" which is what they call old ladies who go back to school. It gives one an interesting perspective when one is the oldest student in the class, not to mention older than most of her professors. I attended part-time for 3 years, did well, and graduated with honors......but I skipped the graduation ceremony. I wasn't sure I wanted to be sitting with all those kids who were young enough to be my own. I didn't want hubby to have to miss work, or for my kids to miss their own classes. And I hate traffic. There would certainly be plenty.

Now I'm sorry I didn't rent my own cap and gown and go through all the pomp and circumstance. It would have been a nice finish for an accomplishment several decades postponed. Besides......there might have been a party!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcia,

Maybe you could have a belated graduation party? Also from what I've heard some of the best creative minds use cocktail napkins at parties to write out their ideas. And now scrape envelopes! Your dolls are real cool creations! So much FUN.

WAY OUT and WAY COOL here in overcast wacko laidback CA.

kathy b said...

Never too late for a party .....

I agree with kathy w.

Great lady bug beginnings....