May 20, 2006

Fun in a bottle


This came in the mail today. The bottle, not the frog. Can you see the stamp on it? How much do you think it cost to mail it? Here's a hint: it's plastic and has about an ounce of sand it it, along with several small shells....and a paper scroll. All of that required an 87-cent stamp. It's probably the special bottle rate. It's guaranteed to get to the recipient more quickly that way than if they had just floated it down the river.

The scroll is a wedding invitation. The edges have been charred, so I'm wondering if I should get my pirate outfit cleaned for the occasion. It's to be held in August on Block Island. Hubby and I don't know the bride and groom, but we are very good friends with the groom's grandparents. They will be flying in from Texas, but from Connecticut we will just have to hop on the ferry. It should be a fun and festive day, and a great chance to see our friends who we don't get to see very often. And now that we've been to Martha's Vineyard, and will soon be visiting Block Island, I'm wondering....can Nantucket be very far behind?

So BCG was here today for a very brief visit. She arrived on the noon train, and returned on the 4 o'clock (but not until she scavenged the crossword puzzle out of our newspaper) and while she was here she attended a friend's graduation party AND tried on the dust mop sweater. I'm happy to say that it fits perfectly! I was afraid the sleeves might be a tad too long, but it turns out they're just right. So now I will go ahead and finish it and start browsing for my next sweater project with renewed knitting confidence. And here's a note to my knitting friends out there (and you know who you are!)......I think I'm on my way to becoming a yarn snob......

No comments: