May 04, 2006

All dressed up



I picked up the new Patti Medaris Culea book last night from Barnes & Noble, and wasn't I surprised! When I ordered it the day before, they told me it wasn't even coming out until the end of May. At first glance, it looks like a great book, and I hope to make use of it when I get around to making dolls with real arms and legs and not just the pretend kind with the plastic pellets in their behinds.

So I've been trying to finish the red-shoed graduate doll, and for some reason, she just doesn't like wearing that hat! She's sitting on my craft table smirking at me. If she gets more cooperative, she'll be up on ebay tomorrow. I think she'll be happy to leave home.

And just about the same time I was getting attitude from the doll, I got a call from the nursing home with word that dear old dad is acting up. I'm pretty sure I know why. He's not happy, and yelling and calling names and swinging his arms at those who care for him is about all he can do to show his displeasure. The nursing director and I had a conversation in which we discussed options, and she suggested that maybe a good scolding from me would help. Well, since my dad doesn't hear well, I suggested maybe an email would be more effective. She agreed.

So I wrote the email, trying to word it carefully so as not to totally offend him and make him see me as the enemy too. And I couldn't help but feel like I was writing to my 10-year-old child who had misbehaved at summer camp. No ice cream for dessert tonight Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcia,

Isn't it something about how we become our parents' parents..hope the email worked well!

See my blog for my dealings today with "older" (yet) people. HA.

Also...so typical that the salespeople said the book wasn't coming out till the end of May and now you have it today!

Life in the early 2000's is very interesting.