May 22, 2006

Flying things

The other day I made mention of a story called "Hubby the Bat Slayer." Funny how I just happen to have something crafty with which to illustrate my story.

Here's how I remember it. We had just turned the light out to go to sleep one night, when I started hearing the hum of wings of some kind above my head. We do have big moths in the house sometimes, so I figured that was it. But the longer I listened and the lower it swooped, the more concerned I became. "Are you awake?" I whispered to hubby. He said he was. "Do you hear something flying in here?" He said he did. So he turned the light on, and I dove further under the covers, making sure no part of my head was exposed.

"What is it?" I asked. "It's a bat," said he. And he grabbed the only bat weapon that was handy (he reported later, since I was unseeing under the covers)--one of my crocheted afghans! And he batted at the bat until the bat was on the floor, dazed, and willing to be scooped into a shoe box for transport downstairs and into the backyard for release. As you might imagine, the bat story became good cocktail party conversation, but the weapon was much higher caliber and the bat was the biggest one he's ever seen.

And on the lighter side, here is a gentle hummingbird having a drink at our feeder. Well, I thought they were gentle until I noticed two of them having a little scuffle below the feeder in the bushes. I wasn't sure if they were fighting over food or doing a little mating dance. With all of the animal and bird antics going on in our yard, there's plenty to keep me entertained and really no need to get involved in reality shows on TV. And you know I can always get caught up on that action with each of my dental visits.

So today hubby and I will go to the phone store to pick out new phones. It seems that ours have become relics. I don't use mine very much, so I mostly pay the monthly fee just for peace of mind. For a while, before we traveled anywhere, I would plead with the kids to put something in their wallets with our emergency contact info. They said they would. But now there's this new thing (or maybe I'm way behind the times) where they can program "ICE" (in case of emergency) into their cell phones. I watched Tech Guy do it last night when he came for dinner, and I'll make sure BCG does hers next weekend.

Sometimes technology can be your friend. It will be interesting to see just how friendly I feel after I've read the directions for the new phone, continued to study up on the new do-everything-but-the-dishes digital camera, and attempted to handle a request from hubby to reprogram the new GPS as we sail down the highway at 70 mpg.....

1 comment:

kathy b said...

Oh what a funny bat story. I can relate. My father's northwoods cabin was notorious for bats. Fortunately we had a big fishing net to catch it in. WE...ha....I wasn't even on the same FLOOR with the thing. I freak with flying things.......
cute sewn bat