April 01, 2008

What's a picnic without ants?

My cousin's daughter asked me if I could make a few ants to go along with the tissue paper flowers, ladybugs and dragonflies at her picnic-themed wedding reception. I wasn't sure. It sounded like quite a challenge. But I told her I would give it my best shot. I sent her a picture of my first attempt, which looked more like a six-legged spider according to Mr. Gadget. I have to agree.
My assessment: a good ant body, but definitely not good legs. I was about to get out my black wire for a more skinny-legged ant, when a "hold the ant production" email arrived from my cuz. Seems the real flower lady and the groom's mom weren't totally thrilled with the idea of ants on the wedding tables. They really should lighten up, doncha think?

So this morning Mr. Gadget was about to leave for the liquor store to replenish his wine stash, and he asked me if I wanted to go along since there's a fabric store next door. We've been known to visit this particular shopping center together in the past, but I won't say we make a habit of it.....

I picked up a couple of pieces for future snowman dolls.
I like to make some out of non-holiday prints, since they can sit out all through the winter. In some parts of the country, I hear that can be eight or nine months even....

And remember those pesky newspaper front-page stick-on ads I mentioned a while back as one of my pet peeves?


I guess they'll continue until some city official's grandchild is pictured on the front page receiving a prestigious award of some kind....with their face blotted out with an ad for a local pizza joint.

And speaking of obnoxious ads....is anyone else sick to the point of nausea from that low-cost travel site's commercial on the sports channel showing the mom in the ridiculous aerobics outfit? I figure I only have to watch it for a few more days, since the UConn women look like they might be headed for the Final Four....and maybe beyond. But who knows how long those nasty stick-ons are going to last? It's really enough to drive a person buggy, I mean antsy.....

No comments: