April 21, 2008

Frogging fun

I finished this frog today....and I found him a chair of his own, so there were no fights. Making a frog is much more fun than that ripping-out-of-the-knitting kind of frogging I was suffering through last week with the red pest sweater. It's coming out better, by the way, on the third try. Or maybe it's just some creative reading of the tape measure.....

I made the frog's outfit from fabric I purchased at the big discount fabric store in Anaheim during my last visit to California. I know it's hard to believe I'd pass up Disneyland for a fabric store, but it's true. I made the orange print bow tie from a fat quarter I got at Joann's. The two pieces met here in the treehouse and I think they were meant for each other. It's almost serendipity....or as Mr. Gadget would say, "Sara Dipity."
Here's a close-up. For your sake, I hope he doesn't stick his long tongue out right about now. I drew his eyes with a black pen and filled them in with watercolor pencils, and I appliqued some eyelids. His mouth is embroidered. He has a dragonfly button on his tie. Sometimes I attach a butterfly net to the frog arms so they can chase dragonflies. It gives them something to do. There's nothing quite as bad as boredom in the frog world.

So I'm not sure what kind of character I'll start on next. Maybe a cat, or another sheep. I do want to try a nun doll--something I mentioned long ago. Maybe a nun with a little bit of attitude. Gotta love a nun with attitude.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nun doll......I love it! And froggie is great!

Conni said...

Love that frog! And the dragonfly button is the perfect accent for his tie...

Jen said...

A nun doll would be cute. I also like the idea of a Clarence cat doll.