April 06, 2008

Big City Eyes

On Friday Big City Girl came home for a visit, and when she returned on Saturday I decided to tag along. We thought it might be a good time for a walking tour of the garment district. Here's a picture of our train approaching the station just before we boarded.
We had lunch at a quaint little place in her neighborhood, just off of Houston St. That's pronounced house as in where you live, and ton as in 2,000 lbs.......not like that city in Texas. But maybe you knew that already.

Afterwards we walked over to the subway entrance and made our way down the stairs, while BCG apologized for the rather unpleasant odor which she said was unusual. The subway car smelled fine though, and in short order we were climbing back up to the fresh air and had somehow been miraculously transported to the heart of the garment district.

We browsed in several fabric shops. BCG was hoping to find something suitable for a new dress she was eager to make with her new sewing machine. She wasn't crazy about the green and black animal-skin print, but eventually we found a nice piece of dark blue cloth that I assured her would be easy to sew with and should work well for the dress pattern she had in mind.


Then we headed off in the direction of a button and trim shop I wanted to visit, but were stopped in our tracks when we saw this.


"Wanna go in?" I asked.
"Duhhh!" said BCG, who is quite adept at making wonderful things to decorate her neck.


That's where I found the eye beads. I have no current plans for these, so I'll just keep them in my button and bead stash until a future time when they'll be exactly what I need for whatever project I have underway.


And that was the extent of my garment-district shopping. My tiny shopping bag fit easily into my purse, leaving my hands free to drink a cup of coffee on the train ride home, snap a picture or two along the way, and cover my nose if more unpleasant odors should be encountered.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A mother/daughters world sounds like such a pleasant place to be. Doesn't happen for me that often these days now that Mom is 90! I am however going to watch a chick flick soon to unwind from my mother/sons world! Very nice post!

kathy b said...

I just love the pictorial. You take some great shots and make the ordinary look extraordinary Pat!