April 09, 2008

Back at the wheel

So today, with all things quiet on the cherub front and my mom license safely tucked back in my wallet, I decided I'd better put aside my current dollmaking projects and address a nagging little repair job.

A few weeks ago Tech Guy brought me a pair of his favorite jeans in which he had somehow torn a hole in a rather precarious spot. Hmmmmm....is that the right word for it? Let me check the dictionary. Yeah, I think that says it pretty well.
Luckily, I had saved some old jeans fabric for just these types of jobs, even though it's not quite the right color. That won't matter to Tech Guy. In all its precariousness, it's not going to show much. The first thing I did was baste it in place. There was a day when I could just stitch a patch right on the outside of his jeans, and it didn't even matter if there was a superhero on it. But now he's officially a grown-up, so more subdued patches are his preference. Then I just zig-zagged the heck out of it. Next, I pulled out the basting threads and voila! They're good to go. Tech Guy can kiss his air-conditioned pants goodbye. But I'm thinking, now that it's Spring and the weather is warming up, he may miss that little bit of a breeze.

I don't care much for pesky little repair jobs, but this one wasn't too bad. At least I had some nice company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do all boys seem to wear out jeans right THERE?!

kathy b said...

we have not had any house finches since the west nile virus hit us hard a few years ago. However, at a favorite lunch spot, just TODAY, we saw a pair. Hooray they may be back in our Chicago area!