April 13, 2008

Black sheep envy


I was definitely not the black sheep in my family growing up. That was more my sister's job. Whereas I would never abuse my curfew, skip school or let my homework slide, she had no problem doing any of those. I was the good daughter. She was the one who gave our parents gray hair.Mr. Gadget wasn't much of a black sheep either. He had two younger brothers who shared that role. But there was a time, or so I'm told, when Mr. G. went home from college one weekend and his dad locked the front door, threw some dollar bills out the window, and told him not to come back till he'd gotten a haircut.I'm not sure if either Tech Guy or Big City Girl could be classified as a true black sheep. They have, for the most part, followed our rules, but there was quite a variety of tattoos, piercings, hair colors and wild get-ups. And those can hardly be labeled black-sheepiness these days, since they've all become pretty much the norm.

Now, as I'm fast approaching old-ladyhood, I think I will aspire to be more of a black sheep. Maybe I'll start lying about my age to get a cheaper train ticket and seat at the movies. Maybe I'll attempt to weasel my way into the local diner for the early-bird special. Maybe I'll start wearing bright floral-print dresses and tuck a tissue or two into my pockets.....

Well lookee here!

I've finished the dragonflies and packed them up for shipping. I'm finally done with the bugs. Do you recognize the wings on those two in the front? Yep, it's the fishnet print I've used for the Red Hat Lady stockings. I found it while looking through my stash for something a little different for the last two bugs (#49 and 50). Just call them the black sheep of the flock.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You? Baaaad? No way!

Jen said...

I would imagine (as I couldn't possibly know from personal experience...wink) it's FUN being a black sheep.

Anonymous said...

Son I was black sheep. Son II was smart enough not to let me know right away, he, too black sheep. Must be in the jeans. Father black sheep, ah so....