October 31, 2006

Halloween happenings



I noticed these big guys yesterday on my walk around the neighborhood. I don't think they were destined to be jack o'lanterns, since I'm sure the carving job would take several days. When the kids were living at home, we always carved two. One for each kid. Fair and square. Seems I usually ended up getting the innards out, since that was an icky job they didn't like. But then us moms usually find most of the icky jobs falling into our laps. It's in the job description.....somewhere.

I'm feeling sorry for a couple of my neighbors. They're new to the neighborhood and went all out with their decorations. Lots of jack o'lanterns on the porch and lighted luminaries along the sidewalk. We've had a grand total of 5 kids at the door....up from last years' 2. Maybe next year they'll be more sensible and buy a $1.77 (on sale) package of Snickers and just turn on the porch light. Maybe I've become a party pooper. I used to think it would be fun to dress up like a witch and sit out on the porch in my rocking chair doling out the goodies. I'm glad I didn't get into my witch garb tonight and drag out the chair. It would have been lonely and boring. Maybe just me and the bats, and a little knitting....

So Tech Guy did dress up in the scary-man-with-the-box costume for work, and I made a special trip over to take his picture.

Here he is holding the box with the real arm on his left and the fake on the right. You can see him poking his fingers out of the box. He wisely decided not to gore it up too badly, since there would be little kids coming around and he didn't want to give them nightmares. He actually hand-sewed the gloves to the box and I was impressed with the nice job he did.

He sewed the fingers in such a way that they look like they're gripping the box. It will be fun to hear how his evening went, and whether the paramedics were called for someone who may have been overcome with fright.....

So I asked Big City Girl if she and her boyfriend were dressing up for Halloween, and she said they were and that they would be taking part in a parade in the village. Oh, that BCG! She's talking like a native now. That would be village as in Greenwich. They were planning to dress up as Scully and Mulder from "The X Files." Never having been a watcher of that show, I have no clue, but she said a red wig was involved. Thankfully, she didn't ask me for help with the costume. I'm always happy to consult, as I did for Tech Guy. I just no longer want to have myself or my sewing machine involved. Or my glue gun or my fabric stash. And definitely not my yarn.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This year we had very few trick and treaters and so did our tenant in RB. What is going on here? Last year there were a lot more. I had to put a load of candy into the freezer with the hopes that "out of sight, out of mind" will keep the stuff out of my body! HA!