October 23, 2006

A few things about Rhinebeck



On the way into Rhinebeck for the fiber festival on Saturday, we passed this montrosity, I mean house. You will notice that the paint job is not quite complete. Maybe they are reconsidering....do you think? It makes me wonder why I bought a can of red Rustoleum for my mailbox. I could have just bought some of this color and painted the whole house, and never would have ever again had to worry about pizza going to the wrong address.

Blogger Bingo was a big success. There was lots of meeting and greeting, and much picture-taking. Shrieking was minimal. Hand-knit sweaters were plentiful, as were scarves and shawls.


Here is my friend Marcia in the center of the picture. She is probably involved in a very interesting conversation with the other bloggers about spinning. When going to a fiber festival, it is helpful to have at least a small knowledge of "spinish," or at least to have taken a night school class in "conversational spinish," so you won't miss anything interesting. I didn't think to do this, so I was rather embarrassed after going into a vendor's booth to purchase "washed locks" for Santa beards, and mistakenly referring to them as "roving."

These two fellas were walking through the crowd, probably for the entertainment of the children. I'm sure the spinners were having visions of the wonderful yarn they could spin from these guys. It's all just doll hair to me. Well maybe one or two santa beards. And see those leaves? There was still lots of color around. Just the right kind of a day for a fiber festival. Cool enough to keep us running from one barn to the next, and not so warm as to have us searching for a bench and iced tea.

So I should probably share about my loot. I did pretty well in sticking to my shopping list. I bought some Mountain Mohair from Green Mountain Spinnery in elderberry to make their basic pullover sweater (pattern purchased on an earlier yarn crawl). I also bought some roving, I mean curly locks.....some in green for witch hair and some in red for the two angel dolls I'm planning to make for a special order. I also bought some purple sock yarn. I passed up the Socks that Rock booth when I noticed the 1/4 mile long line. I'll be happy with my STR Toucan socks from last year. Maybe someone can tell me what makes sock yarn worthy of such a long wait. Then again, maybe if you knit socks while waiting in line for sock yarn it isn't so bad.....

No comments: