October 05, 2006

It's about the garbage



I'll get to the garbage, but first....here's a cute little ceramic pin I bought when I was in California last. It was one of those impulse purchases. It reminded me of the bat stories I've shared. Thankfully there haven't been any more, although Mr. Gadget did report there were plenty of bats flying around when he went to take out the garbage last night. Well, I guess I am feeling a little batty now that I've delivered two special-order witches which somehow acted as advertisements for my witch factory here in the treehouse, and now I have special orders for three more. I'd better get to crackin'.....


So before I get to the garbage story, here's what finally happened on our street yesterday. I didn't see any cops, maybe because we're a cul-de-sac and not a regular street, but there were plenty of worker guys and plenty of coffee drinking. Mostly they were drinking their coffee right on their equipment as they worked. Apparently, like the youth of today, they've mastered the art of multi-tasking whereby they can drive, talk on the cell, drink Starbucks coffee, smoke, change the CD and chat with their friends all at the same time. That's all ok I guess.....as long as they aren't driving behind me.

So Mr. Gadget and I have a long-established garbage tradition. On Wednesday nights, after watching Jeopardy, we kick into gear. He gathers the trash from the wastebaskets around the house and I clean up the dinner dishes and eliminate anything old from the fridge. Then I stack up the old newspapers and tie them up. This I only do every other week. I'm always happy when I realize it's on off-week. It leaves more time for knitting. Then Mr. G. takes everything down to the street, refusing my offers of assistance. Retrieval of the garbage cans the next day, however, is not a task that has been permanently assigned. This morning I took it on when I noticed one of the cans had blown into the street....the nice, newly paved street. Neighborly neighbors will sometimes rescue an errant one, but you never know. And God forbid that we be one can short when next weeks' garbage event rolls around.

Some couples have real issues with garbage. Not us. We're secure in our roles when it comes to garbage. Now, if I could only get Mr. Gadget to stop squeezing the toothpaste tube in the middle.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to read your new post. Love the pin and the garbage routine and those "workers", too!