October 28, 2006

Carrot top or auburn?

So I'm making a couple of angel dolls for a lady who requested that they have red hair and blue eyes. They are to resemble the two little girls for whom they will be Christmas gifts. While at the fiber festival last weekend I was on the lookout for red locks (not to be confused with roving) and found the bright red on the left. Then, just before leaving, I found the more muted shade on the right. I was so happy to find it because I was thinking the other one might be too much. Then I asked the lady who ordered the dolls whether she wanted a carrot-top look or more of a reddish-brown, and she said, "definitely carrot top." So I guess I'll stick with my first find.

The lavendar yarn has nothing to do with the angel dolls. It was a gift from a friend of mine who also loves to knit. She's a dear lady who has had some health problems in recent months and just doesn't get out and about very much. But she knits lovely sweater sets for babies (for which she doesn't charge nearly enough) and she can hardly keep up with the orders. Yesterday I was going to be in her neighborhood and I offered to pick up some yarn for her....seems there's been lots of boy babies born lately and she was running short of blue. So I took her the two skeins of blue she requested and included several more skeins in pink, yellow, and a pretty varigated blue as a gift. She was so thrilled that she sent me home with the lavendar, and a copy of a pattern for a cute little rolled-brim baby hat. Not only that, she gave me a lesson on seaming. Not that I needed it......



We've had lots of rain today and finally the sun came out this afternoon. Here's a fall view from the treehouse....dirty windows and all. Looks like Mr. Gadget has his work cut out for him and his leaf blower what with all those leaves on the ground. A little while ago I spotted about 300 grackles out there on the lawn, but of course they were gone by the time I found my camera.

So I've decided to do a craft fair the first weekend in December. I usually do a few during the fall, but this year I just couldn't get energized to go through the process of applying, making stuff, packing the car, and then schlepping it all in the wee hours. I think I'm getting too old for it. But then I thought maybe I could do just one, and I could take all of the various crafty things I've got stashed. Maybe I could just call it a "stash reduction project." I've promised myself I won't make anything new. Well, maybe I'll make some Santa ornaments out of those snow-white locks I bought last weekend. And maybe a snowman or two. But that's definitely all.......

1 comment:

Maddie Can Fly said...

Good luck with your craft fair -- I know how much work it is after doing 12 of them this year - LOL. Can't wait to see the Santa ornament completed.