October 19, 2006

Niagara Falls



I've been away from the blog for a few days, and enjoying a road trip to Niagara Falls with my cousin who was visiting from San Diego. She'd always wanted to see it, and offered to treat us to a suite on the 33rd floor of the Embassy Suites with this amazing view. Before we checked out yesterday morning, she suggested we drive around to the long narrow parking lot and stop for a few minutes for one last close-up look. Fortunately we checked with the hotel people first and found out that it was $18 to park there, so she wisely decided that the view from the hotel was sufficient.

We had a wonderful visit and did some touristy things. A must-do is the Maid of the Mist boat ride that goes right up close to the falls and requires the wearing of a plastic slicker. Not terribly fashionable, but very helpful in staying somewhat dry....well, I guess I should say less wet.

My cousin is now winging her way back to San Diego as I type. I delivered her to the shuttle pick-up point this morning at 3:30, and returned home for a few more hours of sleep. I can only hope she is able to catch a few winks along the way. She did confess to me that one time she fell asleep in the boarding area and a nice airline employee woke her up before her flight departed without her. It's always nice to get a little extra service.....

So now I'm going to gear up for the big trek to Rhinebeck on Saturday. The Noro shawl-collared sweater is still sitting in the time-out area, and I will finish it up before starting something else....I promise! But I will be looking for some yarn for the next project which will probably be a pullover sweater. I picked up a pattern at the Green Mountain Spinnery on an earlier fiber crawl. I'll also be looking for some roving for doll hair. I just got an order for a couple of angels with red hair and blue eyes. They'll be gifts for young girls and I've been asked to embroider their names on them. One will have bees on the wings and the other will have butterflies. And after that, another red hat lady. I may only have time to fondle my fiber purchases for a while.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowee! All that water....

Elizabeth said...

Hi - great picture of the Falls - I haven't seen anything with that perspective before. You're on my card for Rhinebeck, so I hope to see you there!