January 24, 2006

Scraps



I call this my Wreath for all Seasons. I made it a few years ago for Christmas and put it up in the family room. I never got around to taking it down. I do stuff like that, mainly because I'm lazy--especially when it comes to interior decorating.....or housework.

This wreath is about 22" in diameter. Sometimes I'll sit one of my dolls inside. If it's a bunny, an Uncle Sam or a witch, I figure I'm all set for Easter, Fourth of July or Halloween.

This is a great project for someone who is a pack rat like me. When I make dolls, or anything out of fabric for that matter, I throw the scraps in a bag in the closet.

For the wreath, I picked up a wire base (one with 4 rings around) in the floral department of the craft store. Next, I cut the scraps into strips measuring approxmately 1-1/4" by 6", using my rotary cutter (you'll need lots!) Then you rent a good movie, sit on the floor, and tie the strips on all 4 rings of the wire frame, scrunching them together tightly as you go. If someone calls me while I'm doing this, I just tell them I'm "tying one on!"

The wreath could be done in different colors for different seasons. I've also done the same sort of thing on a length of jute twine to make a garland. This past holiday season I tied scraps to a string of lights to make a lighted garland. Quite festive! Just make sure it's not one of those 100 light strings or you'll be "tying one on" til your arms fall off---or they cart you off to the loony bin, whichever comes first......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just got through lining up all my character dolls on the stairs for a "group" portrait, blog fodder for later in the week. Unfortunately, Santa is somewhere in the recesses of the garage attic and I wasn't going up there for a stupid picture! It does look like the dreaded "collection", though, even without him!