January 30, 2006

"Here" and "There"



So now I'm in southern California, where I plan to be for six weeks. And where I'm staying is not far from my hometown--a small beach community that has gone through some amazing changes since I moved away.

I remember when there were dirt roads and no one locked their front door. And kids didn't have to walk too far to find a vacant lot to play in. Now there's lots of traffic, million-dollar homes, a mall, and a few celebrities from what I hear.

It's fun to notices differences between here (So. Calif.) and there (Connecticut)......on a trip to the supermarket, for instance.

The "here" version: "Good Morning! Can I help you find something?" asked the bakery clerk. "Hello! How are you today?" asked the boy stocking the dairy case. "Thank you, Mrs. Macaroni. You have a pleasant day!" says the cashier. "Can I help you out to your car?" asked the bag boy. I thank him and say I can manage just fine, and I make my way out the front door and find drivers who actually stop for me in the crosswalk.

The "there" version: "Hey man, I'm really hung over from that party last night," says the deli clerk to his workmate. "I can't help you," says the guy stocking the sodas when I ask him where I can find something. "I don't work for the store." And when I get to the check out, "Only two more hours and I can go home," says the cashier to the bag girl. "I'm late for my break," says the girl. "Thank you," I say, as I pay them big bucks and hope that my bread isn't squished somewhere. "Yep," says the cashier. I make my way to the car, trying my darndest to avoid potholes and make it before a car races by and sprays me with dirty, wet, slushy snow.

I have to admit, though, that there are real advantages to living on the east coast. The two things that come to mind are Spring and Fall. There's really nothing to compare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't people getting terribly rude back here...where I am and you're not?! And the driving...geeze!

Anonymous said...

There's lots to be said of your good life back in CT. Californians ARE in far too much of a hurry. Thanks for the neat post.