January 13, 2006

Gardening Angel



This is a gardening angel I made some time ago. What's fun about making angels is that they can be done with different themes. The wings provide a nice area for embellishment. I've also made sewing angels and have decorated the wings with running stitches, buttons, snaps and little scissor charms. This one has a bee stitched on one wing and long running stitches to show his flight path. On her hand I embroidered a ladybug and on her legs, vines and flowers. I crocheted the collar--a craft I learned long ago from my grandmother.

Quite a few years ago, I made an angel doll for a dear friend of mine. She had been diagnosed with cancer and the prognosis was not good. She has always been a very positive person, and she was delighted with my gift. She named her angel Wendy. Two weeks ago I called her to wish her happy birthday. She's doing famously, with a few aches and pains (don't we all!) and she reported that Wendy is still up on her bureau keeping her company.

I would do well to have my own gardening angel. I've never had much of a green thumb. I've always preferred digging through my fabric stash rather than digging in the dirt. Although I have managed to nuture along two house plants in recent years. It's amazing what a sunny window and a little water will do! One is a huge spider plant, and the other is a Boston fern. I named the fern "Ferna" after my grandmother--the one who taught me how to crochet. I've never ever heard of anyone else with that name, but then, she was one of a kind!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, your thumb must be a little bit "green"....you don't want to know how many spider plants and Boston ferns I've managed to murder. Love the angel...her name should be "Horticultura" or "Botanica" or ......? Hmm, have a contest.

Grangry said...

Yes, I love the angel too. I like the idea of themed angels..........