January 25, 2006

Got Mice?



This is one of a series of small pillows I've made. The messages are embroidered and are meant to be humorous. Some are funnier than others. Primary school teachers always got a good laugh out of the one that said "Teaching is like being pecked to death by a duck." And cat lovers liked "We got rid of the kids, the cat was allergic."

The orange cat is one I picked up at the local dollar store. It kinda grabbed me. I love the little tray he's holding and I was struck by the unlimited possibilities of things that could be displayed there. He's been busy around our house.

When one of the kids had medicine to take, he sat on the table and held the pills. And when someone had been extra special good, he offered a couple of Hershey's kisses. It's always fun to think up stuff for him to hold. I found the wooden mouse on the windowsill--where I keep lots of small things that are too special to put in the junk drawer.

I have another ceramic cat that's about the same size. It didn't come from the dollar store though. It was my mother's when she was a little girl, and I remember hearing a story about how she buried it in the backyard long ago. I don't remember why, but I do know it stayed buried for quite a few years. My mom has been gone for many years now, and there are lots of things I wish I had written down from our conversations. Like her holiday recipe for pickled peaches for one thing.

I guess I should start writing things down for my daughter. She's living in the big city now and will be graduating from college soon. At some point, she might want to know more about the baby blanket I crocheted for her, or the little Christmas stocking I cross-stitched for her doll. Or she might wish she had her mom's recipe for split pea soup.

2 comments:

kathy b said...

Marcia,

I LOVE your pillows. I love the chocolate mouse too! I enjoy your blog. I am a knitter, envious of those who sew!

Anonymous said...

I think I need to commission you to make me a "Got Mice?" pillow for a certain cat sitter we both know! TOO funny!