January 16, 2006

Frogs


My friend Marcia has a great post today about her chef collection. Go take a look, and then hop on back and we'll talk about frogs.

My son has a small collection of frogs. It wasn't necessarily his idea to gather them. It might have been mine. He's always been fond of frogs.... and snakes (multiple snakes sometimes). And snails too. He was fascinated by the little silvery trails they left on the sidewalk at his grandfather's house in Calif. where they're plentiful and considered pests. He brought some back to Connecticut once and they were a real hit at Show and Tell. Unfortunately for him, but not for me, they didn't like the cold weather.

During his college years, he bought himself an exotic Argentinian frog of some kind. It was just a small frog that got big. He named it Ray. I think the croaking attracted attention in the dorm because the frog was evicted. Ray had to come home. Son promised to stop by with fresh crickets on a regular basis, but soon got busy with power point presentations and studying and other stuff kids do at college, and mom, feeling sorry for poor Ray, started making cricket runs to the pet shop. Sometimes two trips were required when they'd had a big run on crickets. I must say, it came as a big relief when I heard that an adoptive parent had been found.

The top frog is clay and was made by the same son when he was much younger. It's a favorite of mine. I'm sure all of us mothers have special collections called "Wonderful things my kids made!" The other frog was made by me--part of my character development project. Unlike the clay frog, mine has his own bug-catching net, so he can get his own darn crickets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only thing better than a frog who catches his own crickets is a husband who does his own laundry! Now, if I could only teach him what coat hangers are for!