January 22, 2006

More Sun Signs




I know it doesn't look like a crafty post today, but I promise there'll be something!

The first picture is a sunrise. I took it in Feb. 2001 on a trip to Antarctica. The second one is a Connecticut sunset, taken last week in my backyard. Both great photo ops!

The Antarctica adventure was not planned and came about probably only because I was near the phone. My dad, who was well-traveled and approaching 80, received a brochure in the mail offering the trip. He'd already been to six continents, but still had one to go. He invited his lady friend, but she had no interest in going to the land of the cold, across the Drake Passage--some of the roughest seas in the world. The beach was more appealing. I was his second choice. I already lived in the land of the pretty cold, and I knew there was Dramamine. Besides, I'd been to 5 continents. This would make 6 for me.

Here's kind of an interesting story that relates to the above--well, maybe it's a stretch. My friend Holly, the one who had the miraculous recovery from cancer and has the angel doll Wendy, lives near the ocean in So. Calif. where she enjoy daily sunsets. She photographs them, and a couple of years ago she assembled 12 of her favorites and made a calendar to share with her friends. She put my Antarctic sunrise on the cover which I thought was pretty cool!

Holly is a native of Prince Edward Island, Canada, which is also the birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of "Anne of Green Gables." In fact, Holly named her cat Lucy Maud. And I think it's interesting that the mountains in the Antarctic sunrise picture are part of the Queen Maud Mountain Range (not named after Lucy though, but rather an early queen of Norway.)

So, as I was saying, there will be mention of something crafty in this post. I'm about to make a penguin, which I will share when finished, and then I'll ramble on a little more about our great Antarctic adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Unfortunately, my view of beautiful sunsets is spoiled by the house belonging to the Neighbor from Hell. BTW...I adored "Anne of Green Gables." Bet I read it twelve or more times as a kid!