August 01, 2006

The Squirrel Heat Index

You know it's hot when the squirrels have been brought to their knees....better make that their bellies. Actually, I can't lie. I took this picture last year on July 12. Today the black pointer got up above 100 for a while, so I think this July is hotter than last. It's just too hot to do any housework, which is what I had planned with the company coming in a few days and all. But since they live in south Texas, I hope they'll understand. Meanwhile, I'm in the family room with the A/C cranked up to high, listening to the Maytag wash the bath mats. And I rationalized myself out of a trip to WW this week.....what with the heat and all, and the big Block Island wedding festivities coming up this weekend. Next week, no excuses.

So I had a blog comment on the pilgrims, and it was suggested that maybe the lady's hat should be white instead of the yellow/gold print I had chosen. After some consideration....and fighting the urge just to be done with it.....I decided to make one in white and see if I liked her better that way. I think I do. And that's probably what the rest of you (my scores of blog readers) were thinking too! I had thought the hat would add some color, but pilgrims were pretty simple dressers as I remember from my history books and my one trip to Sturbridge Village.

Mr. Pilgrim now has painted and sealed shoes, and I'm much happier with this replacement pair. But I'm kicking myself for just recently throwing out a piece of dark brown leather cording which would have been perfect for around the tops of the boots. Now I'll have to do a stash dive to see what I can come up with.....and all before tomorrow morning when I've promised delivery.

Next on the agenda is to finish Loretta the ladybug, and then I'll make a witch for a friend in Calif. This witch will be making the trip in my carry-on bag (not on the broom as one would think) when I go back out in September to see my dad and find out if he's still cranky. I just made my travel reservations today, and wouldn't you know.....Jet Blue saved my seats! I'll be coming and going in good ole' 17A.....

No comments: