August 07, 2006

Big doin's on Block Island


Hubby and I have been entertaining out-of-town guests and attending a big fancy, schmancy wedding on Block Island, which is why I've been absent from the blog for a few days. Pictured above is the Sullivan House, the site of the reception...well, not really. The reception was held in a big tent on the grounds surrounding the house, and not nearly as picturesque as the house itself.

It was a very hot day on Saturday, the day of the big event, and we found the best place to hang out, and by far the coolest....because of the delightful air conditioning system....was here. And some of the guests were ever-the-smart ones and dressed more appropriately for the weather than we did.

It was a long day, taking into consideration a two-hour drive to the ferry, a one-hour plus ferry ride, the wedding and reception, and then reversing the process. But hubby and I enjoyed what we saw of Block Island and would like to go back with our bicycles....in the fall when the weather is cooler, the trees are changing colors, and most importantly--after the summer vacationers have departed.

So my friend and house guest Sandi, who is very artistic and creative, gave me some good suggestions for my dolls. She agreed that Loretta needed some changes made to her collar, and suggested an alterate fabric--something I have on hand (always a good thing!) She was especially fond of the sheep doll--the one I had stuck in the corner and forgotten. I told her I was thinking of making another one wearing a knitted scarf--one that the sheep would actually be in the process of knitting himself. I wonder if a sheep could hold some knitting needles in those cloven hooves?

Now it's back to business as usual....and with some luck, a visit from Big City Girl at the end of the week. I hate to spoil a nice visit by asking her when she might get around to cleaning her room, so maybe I'll just keep quiet this time. Then one of these days I'll email her with the threat of a garage sale......


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fancy, schmancy, I'll say. Would you get a load of those "heads". The house photo is the best!