August 21, 2006

Dust Mop Debut



Here, finally, is the dust mop sweater (aka mandarin-collar jacket) from Knit-It! Spring 2006. I'm very happy with the way it came out. It will, of course, look better after I get the snaps sewn on in the right placement for BCG, and she actually wears it. I'm looking forward to that photo op! I emailed her the picture and got a nice, fast response. "I love it! It's awesome! Thank you!" she wrote. So, I'm a happy mom, and all those many frustrating hours of frogging have faded into oblivion just like those long-ago labor pains.

I think I've mentioned that my mom taught me to knit, and I finished my first sweater when I was in 8th grade. I wore it to school proudly, mistakes and all. But she never taught me the fine art of finishing. She showed me how to put two knitted pieces right sides together and crochet the seam. This resulted in seams that were too bulky, and my sweaters were never very comfortable to wear. Now that I've learned about butting the edges together and joining them with more of a weaving process, I'm much happier with the outcome. And, I'm more inspired and confident about taking on new knitting projects.

So, I'm not sure where my new doll ideas come from....maybe there's a doll muse. And if there is, she must get a real kick out of sending inspiration when I'm diligently trying to finish dolls for deadlines. Yesterday I was looking through my fabric stash and discovered some wild polka dot fabric I was inspired to buy for no special reason other than it might make a cute bug. And this morning, just before I got up to answer yet another futon call, I thought I might make a dragonfly. I didn't really anticipate starting a new "bug series" of dolls, but you can't really argue with the muse. I mentioned this idea to hubby and he just shook his head. Mr. Reader-of-Scientific American is baffled now about how I can do those double dragonfly wings. "Not to worry," I tell him. "In the world of whimsy, all things are possible."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute, Cute, Cute!!!