August 11, 2006

On the road again



It's amazing what interesting sights can be found just off the beaten path when ladies on a yarn crawl decide to stop for lunch. These are glacial potholes, one of the scenic attractions in Shelburne Falls, Mass. I realize now that there is nothing in the picture to show scale. But people used to walk around and swim in this area before lurking lawyers looking to litigate discovered them.

So yesterday my knitting friends and I set out on a fiber-finding journey. Marcia suggested the trip and offered to drive. Norma, who is blogless but well-known in town for her straw hat with many pins, offered to sit in the back seat where she was able to knit along the way without getting car sick. I provided interesting traveling conversation and offered to buy lunch.

Our first stop was here, in Putney, Vermont--just off Interstate 91 at Exit 4. They had some beautiful yarns in a very small retail shop just next to their large spinning barn. I did purchase a pattern--their basic pullover sweater, but resisted the yarn in anticipation of our planned stop at Knitter's Heaven after lunch.

It's always a special treat to visit WEBS and today was indeed special because they were having a summer sale! They must have known we were coming. I headed back to the warehouse to have a look-see, and after much fretting and hemming and hawing, chose some Noro Yoroi yarn to make this jacket with shawl collar from 25 Georgeous Sweaters by Catherine Ham.


I'll probably start the swatching process soon so I can take my time in figuring out the correct gauge. But I need to finish the dust mop sweater for BCG before diving into the new project because it'll soon be fall and just the season for a new dust mop.

And just to clarify, in case some of you might think I have a warped sense of humor......the squirrel in the "Squirrel Heat Index" post had not expired. He was just plum tuckered out from the heat. And to answer a question, my ladybug doll can be found on ebay under my ebay ID "crafticatct," or by putting "primitive folk-art ladybug doll" in the search area. I wish I could put the link here, but I'm still clueless on that process. I guess I need another visit from Tech Guy....and another batch of burrito bribes.....

1 comment:

kathy b said...

You just cannot beat Noro. I am knitting a jacket now with Noro and its magical.