February 01, 2006

Bean bags



Here is yet another example of what I do with scraps. When I do craft fairs, it's fun to take a variety of things to sell. Bean bags are always a hit with kids.....and teachers, especially those who teach primary school. Anything sports-related is a good seller, and also anything with dogs and cats.

Bean bags are popular at fairs I do before Christmas. They make great stocking stuffers, although parents have to explain them to their kids. They're an old-fashioned toy and don't require batteries. I do have a confession to make though. I fill them with rice.

It would be fun to come up with a list of uses for bean bags. I often ask my customers what they'll do with them. I use them as paper weights, or for holding down a pattern on fabric. Since they're filled with rice, they can be heated in the microwave and they'll keep your hands warm for a few minutes--just long enough to go out for the newspaper on a cold morning. My son learned to juggle with my bean bags, but I've never had the patience--although I'd like to be able to add that skill to my list of life goals reached.

And speaking of rice, one of the great things about my California neighborhood is the large Japanese market just a short walk down the road. There must be 100 different varieties of rice. I'm having fun trying out some Asian cooking. Yesterday I bought sesame seeds (just a 2 lb. package!) and toasted them to serve on marinated beef, and noodles with stir-fried Japanese eggplant. And this morning I stopped in to pick up some sesame oil for tonight's dinner--chicken with spinach. A walk through the produce section is quite an adventure. Nothing looks familiar. Maybe I'll venture back in there one of these days, when I get up my courage.....

No comments: