February 13, 2006

Cat Embroidery

I made a little progress on my embroidered cat today. The fabric is coffee-stained muslin. I want it to have a primitive look. The lighting is not good in this photo. I'll get a better one after I've done more stitching. I outlined the cat with a running stitch, just to define the boundaries while I work. When I'm done with the embroidery, I'll sew the front and back together, and I'll sew an oval piece on the bottom. Once I've put some weighted pellets inside and stuffed him, he should sit nicely. I'm planning to do a needle-sculpted nose and painted eyes. The glasses are a nice touch, don't you think? Too bad I need them for most everything!

I haven't decided exactly how he'll be embellished. I'm drawing the stems and flowers on as I go. So far I've done a stem stitch and lots of French knots. I'll do more knots in a different shade of the same color to fill in the flowers. I may even add some beads, but I'm not sure yet. I'm not planning to sew the cat pieces together until I get back to my sewing machine in Connecticut, so I have a few more weeks to go crazy with him.

There's a big fabric store here in the neighborhood. They've been in business for years, but have decided to close. Each time I'm in town, I go in for a look around. Their prices have always been on the high side, and their fabrics pretty much traditional. I'm a fan of brighter, more non-traditional stuff....and I always like a bargain. Today I noticed a big final sale sign in the front window advertising 75% off, so I'm planning a visit. I'm sure I can find something I'd like!

I got an email from Big City girl today to thank me for the Valentine I sent with enclosed Starbucks gift card. She said it made her day. The last few days haven't been happy ones, as someone (a big creep) walked through her office and helped themselves to her nice new cell phone (expensive gift from boyfriend). I'd like to find that QE2 laundry room fighting woman to run down the culprit! Oh yeah, she's in Fiji.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I got my honey some chocolates. I'll put them by the door in the morning so he'll see them first thing when he gets back from his 45-minute workout at the gym...heh..heh...

3 comments:

kathy b said...

Marcia

I LOVE the flower work on the cat. You are so fun to watch.

kathy b said...

Marcia

I LOVE the flower work on the cat. You are so fun to watch.

kathy b said...

Marcia

I LOVE the flower work on the cat. You are so fun to watch.