February 06, 2006

Bird socks



I'm calling these "bird socks" because I've posed them on a Bird of Paradise, and this particular combination of colors is called Toucan. The second sock is well underway. This yarn is so much fun to knit with it's hard to put them down. No "Second Sock Syndrome" this time! I got the yarn last October at the New York Sheep and Wool Festival (aka Knitters' Heaven), where these nice people had a frenzied free-for-all, I mean a booth.

I was kind of expecting to see stripes, but this is how they came out. Kind of like one of those crayon scribble drawings we did as kids. I like 'em though, and I'm curious how the second one is going to come out. Definitely different than this one. But someone once said, and I don't think it was me, that life is too short to wear plain socks.

I had been thinking of posing the sock on my neighbor's orange tree....with permission, of course. I guess it would have looked equally silly hanging from a lime, lemon, banana or plum tree. I happened to see this neighbor while I was on a walk and I mentioned the tree and how it was just loaded with oranges. I asked her how they tasted and she didn't know. She'd never eaten one!

And speaking of avocados, which would be no match for the sock, the guacamole I made for Super Bowl came out great. Hubby and I ate the whole thing and called it dinner. We'll have bratwurst (the original menu) tonight. Oh, and I completely forgot to get those celery sticks out of the fridge......

2 comments:

Lucia said...

Hi, Marcia! I love your blog name too. Also your blog. Thanks for the comment on my little blog -- tonight I hope to manage a post with actual knitting content.

The sock is terrific, and don't worry that the second one won't be exactly the same -- I believe it was the Harlot who said some sock yarns just make fraternal rather than identical twins, and it is a happy knitter who can recognize and rejoice in this.

kathy b said...

Wow Marcia

The bird sock colors are spectacular.

I LOVE the photo