February 07, 2006

Spectator sport



I mentioned in an earlier post that when it comes to quilting, I'm more of a spectator than a participant. And when I get together with my friend Barbara, which I did last weekend, I become quite the sports enthusiast. Barbara is a QUILTER!

This particular quilt is one she made as a surprise for her sister, who is a big fan of concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. Even though I wasn't able to photograph the whole quilt, I think I've captured the essence (we were on questionable ground by sneaking into her sister's closet while she was at work.) Both Barbara and I have been known to take risks where fabric is concerned.

The quilt depicts a concert-goer's view of the stage. There's the bowl-shaped structure, the sky with clouds, and the instruments that surround the conductor--whose name escapes me. I'm more of an east coast gal. But I was told that the regular conductor's face was copied onto fabric and appliqued on. What impresses me the most about this quilt is the border of piano keys. Although it doesn't show in the picture, the keys go all the way around the quilt edge.

Barbara and I met when we were taking a speech class together at junior college many years ago. We supported each other through the terrors of public speaking, and our friendship continued on through the years. One of the things we share is our love of fabric. And one of our favorite activities when we get together is a trip to a big discount fabric store out near Disneyland. After we over-do on fabric, we walk across the street to a little Mexican fast food restaurant and have lunch. We usually over-do there too. Then we go home and see who can attack their stash first.

Our shopping expeditions will be fewer and farther between from now on though, since Barbara moved to Arizona a few months ago. She found a cute little house in a nice little town and decided to buy it "for her retirement." And, don't you know, she fell for the guy she bought the house from! I love stories like that! Have fun Barbara.....and don't forget to email!

1 comment:

Conni said...

I love that keyboard border, too. WOW!